Some Abortion Facts
Since abortion became legal in 1973, there have been over 40 million abortions performed in the US. That means 1 out of 4 pregnancies have been terminated during this time period. But that is only half the story. The other half concerns the women who have had these abortions. Every day, 40 to 50 women or young girls in the US are seriously injured or killed by abortion! That's one tragedy every 45 minutes! In addition, it is estimated that a minimum of 7.6 million women in this country suffer from post abortion syndrome, many of them silently.
What is Post Abortion Syndrome?
It is a long-term emotional disturbance brought about by the act of abortion. While symptoms and severity may vary, there are some common symptoms seen over and over by those who deal with this issue. These are:
- Feelings of grief, guilt, shame, anxiety, low self-esteem, anger or rage
- Feelings of helplessness, bitterness, resentment, distrust or betrayal
- Uncontrollable crying
- Emotional shutdown or deadening
- Depression and/or suicidal feelings
- Fear of future pregnancies or a desire to have a replacement baby
- Flashbacks to the abortion experience
- Sexual dysfunction
- Nightmares or insomnia
- Eating disorders
- Substance abuse
- A pattern of broken or abusive relationships
- Various types of destructive behavior
- Problems bonding with other children
Many women who have had an abortion will go into a period of denial. The average period is about 5 years, but 20 years in not uncommon. During this time they may experience some or even many of the above symptoms. Once a woman begins dealing with her abortion, it often takes an average of 10 years to emotionally heal. But there is HEALING and that is the GOOD NEWS.
|American Life League, Inc.
P.O. Box 1350
Stafford, VA 22554
|Bethany Christian Services
901 Eastern, NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
109 Carpenter Dr.
Sterling, VA 20164
or 1-800-393-HELP for
Care Net Center in your area
Life Dynamics Incorporated
204 Cardinal Dr.
Denton, Texas 76209
7870 Olentangy River Road
Columbus, OH 43235
|National Office of Post Abortion
Reconciliation and Healing
PO Box 07477
Milwaukee, WI 53207
1-800-5WE-CARE (For Project Rachel Programs)
|National Right to Life Committee, Inc.
419 7th Street NW Suite 402
Washington, DC 20004
|Pro-Life Action League
6160 N. Cicero Avenue, Suite 210
Chicago, IL 60646
|Victims of Choice, Inc.
PO Box 815
Naperville, IL 60566
|WEBA (women exploited by abortion)
PO Box 267
Schoolcrat, MI 49087
Some Helpful/Informative Books:
- Aborted Women, Silent No More by David C. Reardon
- Lime 5 by Mark Crutcher (Life Dynamics, Incorporated, PO Box 2226, Denton, Texas 76202, phone: 807-380-8800
- Forgiven and set Free by Linda Cochrane
- Her choice to heal by Sydna Masse & Joan Phillips
- Deeply Damaged by Philip G. Ney, MD, FRCP, MA, Rpsych (Pioneer Publishing LTD. PO Box 27103, Goldstream Avenue, Victoria, B.C V9B 5S4, phone: 250-642-1848)
- Centurion's Pathway (Pioneer Publishing)
- why can't we love them both by Dr. & Mrs. J.C. Willke